Education Minister, Hon Chris Hipkins, said as well as funding all apprenticeships, the fund will target areas of study and training that will give learners better employment prospects as New Zealand recovers from Covid-19.
The fund will support vocational programmes from 1 July (and throughout the rest of 2020) in the following areas:
- Primary industries, including agriculture, horticulture and viticulture, fisheries (including aquaculture) and forestry;
- Construction, including building, plumbing, and civil engineering;
- Community support, including youth work, care for elderly, counselling and community health, including mental health and addiction support;
- Manufacturing and mechanical engineering and technology;
- Electrical engineering; and
- Road transport (eg heavy vehicle operator).
Apprentices and learners whose courses started earlier in the year but continue beyond 1 July will be eligible for a partial refund.
For more information about this Fund visit the TEC website .